Copyright WWW.DBBP.COM | updated 8-June-2020


I added an easier to reach idle speed adjuster and some quick release floatbowl screws which will be handy if jets need to be changed. I also added a rearview mirror welded to the handlebar and shortened the sidestand as the bike was standing up too straight. Now can kickstart without hitting the round with the kicker.


After starting the bike there was a lot of noise coming from the primary, so I took off the belt to see what was going on. It turned out that there was a high spot, caused by a weld on the inner primary, that was scraping against the clutch hub. I removed the high spot and machined 1 mm off the back of the clutch hub to be sure, and bolted it all back together. Much better!


These movies were taken just before the first short testride. As expected the brakes were pretty scary so that was the first thing that needed some fixing. Very comfortable sitting position with a sleepingbag strapped against the sissybar by the way! Motor feels strong and runs well. Now let's see about those brakes....


I could pull the front brake lever all the way to the handlebar and still push the bike through, so I needed more adjustment length. I found a longer adjuster but could not get that mounted unless I would solder the cable while on the bike. I decided to machine a slot in the side, screw it all the way into the brakeplate and then mount the cable. Now I have enough pressure that I can no longer get the lever against the bars. The sprocket brake I bled one more time and decided to put some more miles on before deciding. Looking at the disc the new pads and the disc need to wear in a bit more as they are not touching everywhere yet. If the rear brake does not improve after wearing in I have a hydraulic drumbrake that I can use only that will not work with this wheelhub... We will see! Oh yeah, at the moment I am making a quick-release bracket for this old saddlebag.