Our friend Theo is restoring a Harley Davidson
W from 1919, this has a rather rare boxer engine. The engine
is already rebuilt (see movie below) but the tank was missing,
so we will be making a new tank from skratch.
Theo took measurents from another tank and
made a fullsize foam model. He covered the whole tank with a
special tape with lengthwise glassfiber strands in it. This
tape will not stretch in the length direction, and we had Theo
cover the whole tank in 2 directions. The tape will be the template
for the new pieces.
We decided to put the welds in the small radius
and made a set of wheels for the beadroller so that the edges
of the sheetmetal pieces could be easily formed.
It took a few hours to make the tools but
this will save a lot of time later. We tested the beadroller
on some pieces of scrap metal and it works beautifully. Aad
machined a matching die for the planishing hammer so that after
spotwelding the seam can be quickly cleaned up. Now we are ready
to start on the new tank, to be continued!