Copyright WWW.DBBP.COM | updated 10-March-2016

I have been wanting to do some more experimenting with aluminium sandcasting for a while, and recently I bought a used ceramics oven that should be plenty hot! A mate donated an old Porsche wheel, which Aad cut up into oven sized pieces on his bandsaw. I had a rapid prototype of an aircleaner that would be a nice part to test the oven with.

 
 

For a crucible I modified a stainless steel souppan and from scrap metal I welded together a tool to lift the pan out of the oven and to pour the aluminium. I got 10 kilograms of casting sand from an arts supply store and some talcum powder for the parts where I don't want the sand to stick.

 
 

For a crucible I modified a stainless steel souppan and from scrap metal I welded together a tool to lift the pan out of the oven and to pour the aluminium. I got 10 kilograms of casting sand from an arts supply store and some talcum powder for the parts where I didn't want the sand to stick.

 
 

The tricky thing about this part is that it has thin walls, the parts we cast sofar have all been solid. (swingarm, battery covers)

 
 

Up to this point the preparations for the casting were the same as usual, the tricky part was where to position the feeder ( where the molten material goes in) and where to position the risers ( where the air can escape) Because of the thin walls the aluminium might solidify too soon before reaching all parts of the mold cavity. More pics in a few days.


Previous