Copyright WWW.DBBP.COM | updated 6-March-2014

 

As we barely had a winter to speak of, and I have been working my ass off with almost no time for my own projects, I have been riding this bike the way it is for a few months now. Time for a change! I still had the stock aircleaner in my shed and I like the look of that, however it would not fit on an S&S G carb without some modifications...

 
 

After removing the S&S aircleaner I tried on an adaptor I had bought from W&W. This adaptor had an S&S bolt pattern on the rear and a HD bolt pattern on the front. There were 2 small problems, the screws on the rear were now impossible to reach (ofcourse I could have used hex-heads but I could not find any that day..) and the diameter of the adaptor bore was smaller than that of the S&S G carb.

 
 

I machined the bore of the adaptor a bit bigger on the lathe, not as big as I would have liked but I needed to keep some wall thickness. For the screws I made a little special tool and mounted the adaptor with that. Next step was installing the stock backing plate. I welded on a piece of pipe for the breather hose and closed a hole that was no longer needed, made a support bracket to keep the weight of the carb off the intake rubbers and the job was done.

 
 

To be honest I like the looks of the aircleaner but am not quite satisfied with the adaptor. For now I will ride it like this but as soon as I have some sparetime and it is raining, I will make a whole new aircleaner backing plate that bolts directly to the S&S G.....

 



Previous