My BMW Bobber,
CAD version here
A while ago I bought a nickle plating kit, and I thought
the hubcovers of the BMW would be the perfect parts to try it
out. The covers were machined from steel and Aad polished them
for me. The nickle plating kit came with a rather flimsy bucket
to plate the parts in, but I decided to use a "curver"
container instead so there would be more room.
First step was to mount the Anode (+) and Cathode (-) bars over
the container. The Anode is covered with red plastic to avoid
accidental short circuits I guess. Sheets of nickel were suspended
on the Anode bar, and the plating controller box was attached
to both bars. The kit also came with a 50 Watt heater, (the
kind they use in aquariums) and this was attached to the bottom
of the container.
The plating is supposed to be done in a solution with a temperature
between 20 and 50 degrees Centigrade, the maximum temperature
of the heater was only 32 degrees, so I set it at full power.
The power supply of the controller box could be set at different
voltages, depending on the surface area of the part that was
being plated. My part was about 40 square inches ( easy to calculate
when you have the part in CAD), and according to the instructions
that meant I needed to use 7,5 volts.
The next step was to wash and degrease the part (I used ordinary
dishwasher liquid), and then the part had to be rubbed with
scourer/surface preparer (also included in kit). I I filled
the container with 10 liters of warm water and mixed in 2 kilograms
of nickle salts while wearing rubber gloves and a facemask because
this is pretty nasty stuff. The mixture turned a weird green
colour, I plugged in the controller and the heater and suspended
the part with a piece of wire from the cathode bar. Tune in
next week to see if it worked.....