bottom of the old Superglide tank was rather bumpy and since
I had already replaced the tunnel with a narrower and deeper
version I decided to replace the bottom of the tank as well.
I made a cardboard template and used that to cut 2 identical
pieces of sheetmetal. I used material that was 1.5 times thicker
than the rest of the tank for extra strength and to make sure
the new bottom would stay straight after welding. I put the
new pieces of metal ontop of the old metal and scribed around
the edges, then I removed the old bottom by cutting on the scribe
line. I asked Aad to weld 2 pieces of scrapmetal between the
2 new bottom sections so that they would be straight and then
I notched the bottom of the tunnel untill the new bottom was
exactly flush with the old material. Aad tackwelded the new
pieces in place and I removed the supporting strips. Now I get
to grind down the bottom of the tunnel and make all the missing
pieces, and then Aad will complete the welding.